Monday, February 29, 2016

Growing up comfortable

(Disclaimer: Ugh! Sorry if this post would offend some of you..)

After hearing the different stories of my workmates on why they chose to work in a call center. This all started after our first week of nesting, we went out drinking and started a long and deep conversation.  I really cannot help but feel so ashamed of myself for being so ungrateful of my life. There are probably a lot more people more deserving of my comfortable lifestyle (Note gods please don't give me a major lifestyle change..).. 

I have workmates who were forced to work in a call center at a young age of 18 because their parents can no longer afford to send them to school. Yet here I am who spent almost a decade to get a diploma. One of the reasons is because I kept course hopping and lived the life of a reckless teenager. Not thinking about the effort my parents have made just to give me a good education.

I also have workmates who were forced to work to become the breadwinner of the family.. Yet here I am just working to remain productive. While they are working to have a roof over their heads and food on the table for their sibling and parents. It is really sad to know at a young age of 20 they are forced to be the breadwinners with a monthly salary of 17k (Minus taxes and other government mandated fees) to a family of 5-8 . If only the income tax would be lowered though.. I have come to understood why people would always complain about how the government uses our taxes when I started working. It is not easy to get a big chunk of your salary deducted due to "income tax" and that we do not see it put to good use.

So far I have learned to be grateful for the things I am blessed with. I have a good family, great friends, and a loving boyfriend. It made me appreciate the value of money even more. Now I really understand when they say "earning money is not easy".. I have learned to appreciate my parents even more for working very hard to make me have a good life. 

I have also learned to respect the call center agents even more because their life is not very easy.. They have about three weeks to learn about the product and service and have to handle calls every single day with irrate customers.. It was my first time to be cussed at by angry customers over the phone but hopefully I can survive this before I resign to get back to reviewing for the upcoming board exams. 

12 comments:

  1. It wasn't easy for me as well, growing up and being the one 'unfavoured', I have to prove my worth. Still isn't easy in my line of job but I am surviving. I learned not just to be hard working but also to be appreciative of so many things. I can see the results as very positive. Nice realizations my friend, and hopefully the maturity will become more of a scaffold than a wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting even more mature every single day :) Thank you for sharing too :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with teacher Jo ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) He always has many good words to say :)

      Delete
  3. Yeah you are so blessed :)

    Iba yung you have to work just to be productive.
    Naalala ko tuloy bigla yung mga 'super blessed' ko ring mga students noon sa isang private school na meron na nga at lubos-lubos pa ang resources para makapag-aral ay may ilan pa ring hindi iyon naa-appreciate at nari-realize. Kaya naisip ko na lang na baka nga ang bata pa nila para maintindihan ng lubos yung mga ganun or baka hindi pa nila nakikita ang buhay sa ibang perspective na mula naman sa iba.

    At sana, dumating din sila sa punto na ito tulad ng sa iyo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully everyone would appreciate the value of money soon :) Life is not easy :)

      Delete
  4. This is deep. I am happy that you get to realize this and that you would appreciate everyone who works for money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy that you're having these musings while hearing stories about your colleagues who work to live.

    About your comfortable living, you can always pass along the blessings. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually passed along the blessings to the point where I got abused of my kindness.. I will post about it soon anyways haha :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. That we do :) Can't wait to read more from you Victor :)

      Delete