People always have false assumptions about me based on my name or how I look like.. But heck im still Filipino and that people should someday learn not to assume or make "labels" based on how people look like or how their name sounds like.. I have to be honest though there are times where I judge people with how they dress but most of the time my assumptions of people based on how they dress are 80% true.. So I guess I have the street smarts or I am just good at guessing or maybe life is just unfair haha...
Anyways let me share to you the top 10 sometimes bad/good stereotypes I live with because I am a chink..
10. We only use chopsticks at home... - This is so not true! Just because I am a chink doesn't mean that we only use chopsticks at home, I wonder what gave them that idea!?! Its crazy we use the spoon and fork just like everyone else..
9. We are really stingy with money.. (Kuripot Alert!) - Anyone can be stingy! This is one of the most common stereotype I heard from everyone which they say applies to all "east asians"... One time my friends were shocked when I treated them for lunch and said that they never expected me to be the type to treat people because I am a chink and they say all chinks are "stingy, money hungry individuals"...
8. We like to eat babies! - Where the eff did they get that information that chinks eat fetuses?!? Its crazy every single year or every new person I meet always ask me if I have tried eating a baby.. Its crazy! Why the eff would I want to eat a baby?!? Every friggin year or every new person I meet always ends up asking me this question.. My gahd! What has the internet taught you guys!
7. We are expected to know how to speak our mother tongue perfectly - I belong to a new generation of chinks who could barely speak or let alone even read perfectly the language used by our forefathers so please don't ask me how to speak a line of Chinese, Japanese, Korean or even Mongolian! I grew up in the Philippines like most of my friends and so it's probably expected that I wouldn't know how to perfectly speak my original mother tongue.
6. We are not circumcised - I do not know if this is a good thing or bad thing but I doubt this applies to all chinks. I know of many chinks who are or are not cut. Does it even matter? Well another fun fact for you guys one of us (either Me or Cheng) isn't cut. I mean what is it about getting cut? Well one of us got cut due to constant peer pressure but still this doesn't make sense just because we are chinky doesn't mean we are uncut. Though there really is nothing wrong with being cut/uncut.
5. We are not very blessed in the "bird" department - What is their basis on this? In comparison to my friends at the gym and my other chink friends. I don't think we are not well endowed in the bird department. I mean Ive seen a lot of birds at the gym and they come in all shapes, sizes and cuts. I hate getting teased about this though it doesn't feel very comfortable.
4. We have too close family ties and they always provide for their children - again this doesn't apply to all chinks.. Most chinks I know have dysfunctional families and even my family has their fair share of family related issues... This maybe true to some but not all... Some of my chink friends are forced to work their way to get what they want and need. Which is probably why some of them end up resorting to getting things done under the table and this probably a good thing so that we will all have a lesson to learn that getting money is never easy and that we would have to work hard for what we want and need. I am pretty sure there are some people that need to know this instead of resorting to stealing and killing.
3. Most of us are hopeless romantics - because all we think about is how to make money they say we are so desperate to get lovers and most of us only get our partners through arranged marriages.. So not true! What century do we live in? Oh my oh my! They say that we usually love through money.. Whoever said true love can be bought and not found?
2. We like to fck our helpers and workers - so now they say that we are horny maniacs.. Well again this doesn't apply to all.. But if they think we are horny individuals that can last long in bed then thats a good thing but if they think we are nymphomaniacs then nevermind.. haha
1. Most of us can't speak english - wow.. even in the Philippines they think we can't speak english.. seriously.. like really! again this doesn't apply to all :)
I hope you have enjoyed this short post haha :) Again I really like getting mail from you guys and reading them! So what are you guys waiting for? Send them my way at email@example.com :) :)